Built during the French occupation
It continued to be used as a prison by the British after capturing the island. It was the only prison in Dominica until1784, when a new one was constructed at the top of King Geroge V Street, to replace it
It served as a private residence since the relocation of the prison and is owed by the same family since 1800. Part of the building wall runs along, one of the last cobbled streets in Roseau- Johns Lane. The other part of the building’s wall is on Old Street – one of the earliest streets in Roseau dating from the French period.